Friday, August 26, 2011

Gazpacho!

Believe it or not, before this month I'd never had gazpacho (or any (intentionally) cold soup, for that matter!) I was intrigued by the seeming simplicity of it, so I "tested" it by ordering at a restaurant (before I made a whole batch that ended up going to the chickens). I LOVED it, so I found a promising recipe off the internet  (which I changed, of course!) and made some at home. The kids gave it mixed reviews (2 for, 3 against - but of course I intend to give them time to get used to it) but I found it just as good as the bowl I'd had in the restaurant.

I love that I can make this almost entirely from what's in the garden right now and that it doesn't heat up the house! The perfect soup for August!

Gazpacho
1 cucumber, chopped
4 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups tomato juice
¼ cup white wine vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
½ Tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Mix all in a large bowl and chill before serving. The longer it sits, the more the flavors develop.

(The original recipe also called for 2 bell peppers, which we don't like - feel free to add them if you do like them!)


No comments:

Post a Comment