Monday, May 23, 2011

Easy, Almost-Instant Healthy Homemade Ketchup

So, it's almost time for the official opening day of Grilling Season (aka Memorial Day). What goes better on those grass-fed burgers on homemade buns than homemade, no-sugar, no-corn syrup ketchup! My kids love this recipe, and I think it tastes pretty close to store-bought. Definitely a winner in our family!

Ketchup
Two 6 oz cans of tomato paste (or one 12-oz can)
1 Tbsp honey
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup water (more or less for your desired consistency)
Mix all together well and it's ready!
(Yup, I use my stick blender for this!)




This post is part of Real Food Wednesday.

6 comments:

  1. It sure is our favorite recipe, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No added sweetner? hhmm you certainly caught my eye on this one. I have tried lots of recipes...but have not yet landed on "THE ONE"...I'll bite. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can this be canned in a canning jar for later and if so what would you recommend it to be canned water/pressure canned and for how long? Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried, but I would think you could can this. It should be OK to waterbath it, since it has the vinegar in it.

    (Sorry it took so long to reply - I didn't see your comment until just now!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what is it the shell life for this ketchup , how long it can last?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't really say, since we usually eat it pretty quickly. After a month, it will separate, but the vinegar should keep it good for a long time.

    ReplyDelete