Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Real Food Substitute for Graham Cracker Crust

So, I have all of these wonderful family dessert recipes that call for a graham cracker crust, but now that I'm trying to eat REAL food, there's no way I'm feeding those sugar-laden, rancid-flour, soybean oil nasty things to my family. But I've discovered a home-made substitute! I modified this from a recipe I found in Joy of Cooking. The texture isn't exactly the same (it's more like a cookie) but it's been yummy in all of the recipes I've tried so far (cheesecake, poppy seed torte, etc.)

Shortbread Crust
1 1/4 cups flour (sprouted whole wheat, if you have it)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup honey (may be omitted if your filling is already sweet)
1/2 cup butter
1 egg yolk
Mix all together and press into 9x13 pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Fill as desired.

This post is part of Real Food Wednesday

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic, thanks! I was just wishing for a honey shortbread recipe the other day. :)

    ReplyDelete