Monday, March 14, 2011

What to do when your bread doesn't turn out right (part 2 - Easy Stuffing)

Here's another recipe I make with leftover or messed-up bread. I think it tastes a lot like the boxed stuff, but without all the nasty added chemicals!

I usually make this as a side dish when I cook a chicken (which I invariably do in the crock pot, so there are lots of drippings - which I use instead of the stock, which in turn makes this dish much more flavorful. I also simplify things by mixing up the seasonings in a quart jar, adding the chicken drippings, and then simply standing the stick of butter in the hot liquid to melt (saving a dish to wash and the extra energy to heat it - I'd like to say it's because I'm so eco-conscious, but really it's just because I'm that lazy). When it's completely melted, I stir it up and pour it over the bread. So easy!)

Easy Stuffing
1 cup chicken stock or drippings
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 Tbsp onion powder
2 tsp parsley flakes
1 tsp celery salt
1/8 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp sage
pepper to taste
4 cups cubed bread

Mix all but bread, then pour over cubed bread in casserole dish. Toss lightly to coat. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment